This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from one of the links below, I'll receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
My family has been loving this low-carb breakfast casserole over the past couple weeks! It’s perfect for those hectic mornings!
For three years after my surgery, I had a terrible habit of just grabbing a protein shake every morning for breakfast. I loved my protein shake; it was fast, easy, delicious, and it was just part of my morning rituals. Not that there is anything wrong with protein shakes… but we do want to move on to real-food sources of protein eventually, right?
But that also meant I was feeding my family easy, convenient (read: sugary and/or heavily processed) for their breakfast. D’oh!
Recently I committed to waking early to make a healthy low-carb breakfast for my entire family (myself included), but the early mornings haven’t worked out well at all. Maybe it’s because she is teething, but my baby has been staying up late into the night no matter what I do to soothe her to sleep. Needless to say, I’m a complete zombie in the mornings!
Recently, I had an idea to put together a breakfast casserole to feed my family throughout the week. This casserole was a huge hit with my husband and kids!
Its layers start with a sweet potato base, with bacon, veggies, and finally, eggs poured throughout. It’s so easy to put together, and best of all, it is both nutritious and delicious!
The best part is, you could easily make so many modifications! Use leftover meat, change up the veggies, add a little cheese if that’s what you’re into… the options are endless!
Breakfast Casserole (Low-Carb, Paleo, Whole30)
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and shredded
- Oil for greasing the baking dish I use either grease from the bacon or coconut oil
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Preheat a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Using kitchen shears, cut slices of bacon into 1.5-inch strips. Add to skillet and cook until cooked through to your liking. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove from skillet and allow to drain excess grease on a paper towel.
- While the bacon is cooking, use a food processor or box grater to shred your sweet potatoes.
- Liberally grease a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with either grease from the bacon, or use an oil of your choice (olive, coconut, etc.).
- Layer into the baking dish your ingredients, starting with the shredded sweet potatoes.
- Spread cooked bacon strips over shredded sweet potatoes.
- Next, spread out the bell peppers and onions onto the dish.
- In a mixing bowl, add cracked eggs, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Drizzle egg mixture over the dish, making sure it is pouring evenly throughout..
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until egg is cooked through.
- Allow the casserole to cool ten minutes before cutting into the casserole and serving.