This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from one of the links below, I'll receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Suppose you made my recipe for a whole roast chicken in a slow cooker / Crockpot, and you have a ton of leftover shredded chicken now sitting in the refrigerator. Hmm…. what to do? What to do??
Oh, I know! You should totally make some healthy chicken salad sandwiches!
I wrote this recipe for chicken salad with three different ways of serving it, depending on just how healthy and clean you want to go. Obviously, the most healthy/clean is the Whole30 version, serving it in a lettuce wrap, but the salad itself is so good, any version is going to taste great!
Version 1: Classic Healthy Chicken Salad Sandwich
Use your preferred bread of choice (I placed it in a croissant for my sons). Give the Paleo mayo a try (I promise it is GOOD!), or if you don’t want to go that route, try halving the regular mayo with protein-rich Greek yogurt!
Version 2: Paleo Chicken Salad Sandwich
Try using a Paleo-approved tortilla/wrap! I love Stupid Easy Paleo’s “Simple Paleo Tortillas” recipe!
Version 3: Whole30 Chicken Salad Sandwich
Alright, you ultra-healthy clean eater! Kudos to you. Simply fill a leaf or two of iceberg lettuce with the chicken salad.
Let me know in the comments how you made your chicken salad sandwich!
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large apple, any type (I like honey crisp), cored and chopped
- 1 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 1 cup roughly-chopped walnuts
- 1/2 – 1 cup mayo, according to your preferences (try [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWKI0HI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00ZWKI0HI&linkCode=as2&tag=gabbfrie-20&linkId=ALHPYBZ2QAHGEZES” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Paleo mayo[/url] or halve it with Greek yogurt)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 tsp salt, coarse sea salt preferred
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, place chicken, celery, apple, grapes, and walnuts. In a separate bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, tarragon, salt, and pepper for the salad dressing. Pour salad dressing into <g class=”gr_ gr_59 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep” id=”59″ data-gr-id=”59″>large</g> bowl and carefully stir to combine, being careful not to bruise the fruit.