This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from one of the links below, I'll receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
French Onion Smothered Pork Chops (Keto)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large pork chops 1" - 1.25" thick
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion sliced once in half, and then chopped into half-moon shaped sizes.
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum for thickening sauce, optional
- 1 1/4 cup beef broth divided
- 4 slices provolone cheese sliced in half
- 1 cup shredded gruyere or swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Preheat olive oil in a 10" cast iron skillet, or oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Remove pork chops from their packaging and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl mix together salt, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over each side of the pork chops.
- Place the pork chops into the skillet, searing each side of the pork about 3 minutes each, making sure it is browned all the way around the chop. (They will not yet be fully cooked.)
- Remove pork chops from skillet and place on a plate, cover with foil, and set aside for now.
- Add butter to the pan and raise the temperature to medium high.
- Place into the skillet onions, xanthan gum, and 1/4 cup of beef broth, and sauté until the onions become very soft, about 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup of beef broth into the skillet.
- As you allow the beef broth to come to a boil, use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Once the onion soup mixture comes to a boil, nestle the pork chops back into the skillet, and spoon the soup over the pork chops.
- Evenly distribute the provolone and swiss cheese on top of each pork chop.
- Place into the preheated oven, and bake about 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the pork chops is 160 degrees.
- Remove heat and just before serving, spoon some of the onions over the pork chops.