This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from one of the links below, I'll receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Is there anything sexier for Valentine’s Day than a dessert that is also actually GOOD for you?
This chocolate mousse is a Paleo-compliant version of the rich French dessert. Instead of using heavy cream, we use the cream from a can of coconut milk, which is a super healthy fat. Instead of sugar, I used real maple syrup to sweeten it. Even with these substitutions, I assure you, there is nothing lacking in this dessert! It is still so rich, creamy, and airy, just as the French intended.
Plus, chocolate. Dark chocolate (70% cocoa or higher) is heart-healthy and full of antioxidants!
So this Valentine’s Day, treat your heart (and belly) to this irresistible, decadent dessert, sans guilt!
Chocolate Mousse (Paleo)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt or about 1/8 tsp
- 2 squares chocolate 70% or higher, like this awesome Lindt brand
- Strawberries for garnish or for dipping
- Open can of coconut milk, leaving the lid intact, and refrigerate it a minimum of three hours, or overnight. This will allow the coconut fat to rise to the top and harden, making it easier to scoop it out of the can.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, carefully scoop out the thick white fat from the can of coconut milk. It may be impossible to get it all out without getting some of the clear coconut water in it, and that is OK. You may have a little less than half of the can left of clear liquid. Discard liquid or save it for other use later on.
- Turn on mixer, on low speed. Add in maple syrup, and mix until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium and add cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Beat on high until mixture becomes very airy and thickens.
- Using a microplane or grater, shave chocolate. Set aside about 1 Tbsp for garnish.
- Add chocolate shavings into mousse mixture and mix in.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup mousse into four dishes.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- If desired, top with strawberries and shaved chocolate.