This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from one of the links below, I'll receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Sometimes you just need some soul food (sans guilt)… something creamy, something savory… something bacon-y. This super simple keto recipe for Chicken Thighs and Bacon in Creamy Mushroom Sauce checks all the boxes, baby!
If you’re really watching your carb intake, you may want to not serve any extra veggie sides. But if you don’t mind a little extra, this is great over riced cauliflower, or spiral-cut zucchini noodles, as pictured.
I would recommend cooking the riced cauliflower just a few minutes, sauteed in a skillet is fine, but the nice thing about the zucchini noodles is that they don’t need cooking! Just pour the hot sauce directly over it, and they will soften perfectly within a couple minutes. (I give you this tip, why? Because friends don’t let friends eat soggy vegetables, that’s why.)
Chicken Thighs and Bacon in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 4 chicken thighs skin-on, bone-in
- Salt and pepper to taste or about 1/4 tsp each
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 5 slices bacon sugar-free
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- First, you will want to season your chicken thighs and let them come up to room temperature. Remove thighs from packaging, and blot excess moisture from the chicken with a paper towel. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning. Set aside.
- Next, cook your bacon. Prep your bacon by chopping it into 1-inch wide strips. Preheat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Place bacon in the skillet, stirring often, cooking until crisp. Place a paper towel over a plate and scoop out the bacon onto the plate to cool. You can save the rendered bacon grease for another recipe or discard, but make sure you reserve about 1 tbsp in the skillet to cook your chicken.
- Keep skillet over medium-high heat, and place the thighs in, skin side down. Allow to brown for 5 minutes. Turn thighs over and allow the other side to cook for five minutes. Remove chicken thighs and place into a baking dish, skin side up, and set aside (keep in mind they are not yet cooked through).
- Keeping skillet over medium-high heat, place into skillet the sliced mushrooms and allow them to cook through and caramelize a bit (brown the edges).
- Add the cooked bacon to the skillet, reserving some for garnish, stir to combine.
- Add heavy whipping cream, thyme, and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula and scrape the bits of meat off the bottom of the skillet. Allow the sauce to come just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken thighs, and place in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.