This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from one of the links below, I'll receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
I missed chicken pot pies since being on keto. It was my favorite meal to have while breastfeeding my daughter. It was so easy to pop into the microwave and eat while nursing. Not only was it fattening, but it was so ADDICTIVE. But it was one of the things I knew I had to give up if I was going to take off the regained weight!
While researching keto crusts, I had the idea in my head that I didn’t want to make one of those large traditional pot pies, because it’s so much easier to have everything pre-portioned out into 8 easy Ramekins (affiliate link), especially if you make these early in the week to have on hand throughout the week. Then you can just take them out of the fridge, pop them in the microwave for a couple minutes, and you’re good to go!
This recipe makes enough for 8 individual pot pies, so if you don’t have 8 ramekins, there are a few alternatives you can do:
- Halve the recipe and make just four.
- Make them in batches using the few Ramekins you have and storing the ones that finish first in some storage container in the fridge.
- Use a baking dish (an 8″X11″ or a 9″X13″ will get the job done), and the same temperature and baking time.
I also wanted to show you how I easily portioned out the crust. I used my handy dandy cookie scoop! (Affiliate Link) Then just use the back of the scoop to smooth the batter over the filling a bit. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, though, it divides up well in about 1/4 cup portions.
Chicken Pot Pie (Keto)
Pot Pie Filling
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 large celery stalks diced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms sliced**(see notes)
- 8 oz. frozen or fresh broccoli** see notes
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1.5 lbs cooked chicken shredded (I used a full breast, thigh, and leg from a costco rotisserie chicken!)
Pot Pie Crust
- 4 Tbsp butter room temperature
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp sour cream full fat
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Preheat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced onion, celery, mushrooms, broccoli, and garlic. Saute until all veggies are soft and onions are translucent.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and chicken broth, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes, letting the sauce reduce and thicken slightly.
- Add shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Place 8 8-oz. Ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Equally divide up the filling mixture into each of the Ramekins, about 1/2-3/4 cups each. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients for the pot pie crust, except for shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Add in shredded cheese and combine well.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup, divide the crust batter over each of the Ramekins. Use the back of the scoop or a spoon to smooth the crust over the filling.
- Place cooking sheet with Ramekins into the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a bit before eating.