Shakshuka (Eggs in Tomato Sauce)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste, omit if sensitive to heat
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1-28 oz. can whole tomatoes juice and all, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 6 large eggs
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
- Hot sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large oven-safe skillet (if you don't have one, you can transfer the tomato sauce to a baking dish before placing eggs in), preheat olive oil over medium heat.
- Place in skillet garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir until garlic has softened and the spices become fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Keeping the heat set over medium, add onions and red bell pepper. Stir to combine, and continue to cook and stir until the vegetables are VERY soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add in canned tomatoes, chopped, making sure you include all the juices. Allow it to simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, until tomato sauce has reduced some. Add in feta cheese.
- Using the back of a large spoon or the bottom of a measuring cup, gently press a "well" into the sauce for each egg to sit in. Crack an egg into the well, then repeat five more times.
- Bake at 375 F until whites are set, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool a few minutes, and garnish with cilantro, and add hot sauce if you like!